Monday, November 27, 2006

Holiday budgeting

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving! I took last week off to relax.

I found this today online, and thought it was helpful.
http://www.realsimple.com//realsimple/web/pdf/1204/giftbudget.pdf

However, I think the guidelines for the holiday budget are kind of wacky! 1.5 % of pretax income? We never spend that kind of money and don't expect anyone to spend that on us!

Never forget that the retailers try very hard to make you feel or want to consume, it is in their best interest if you give big ticket items. Not necessarily your best interest.

The best thing we did in our family is to decide to give small presents. It took so much pressure off as we are limited to $10 a person for the cousins, their spouses, & my siblings and their spouses. That means that 7 gifts are small and fun. Same goes for parents, etc. While not $10 gifts, we have been getting smaller gifts for them.

It just makes for a more enjoyable holiday when not stressed about how much is enough. I had gotten to a point where I dreaded buying for Christmas and this has really helped. Take the extra money you would spend, and give it to the less fortunate. To me, that is the best way to celebrate Christ's birth, and the way that will bring joy this season.

No comments: