Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Chicken stock update

OK - I need to put the homemade granola post on hold for right now and will post later this week.

Here is an update to the chicken stock recipe. I wanted a stronger broth, as freezing in bags was good, but then getting them out and thawing was kind of a pain. I wanted a thick, gelatinous broth that I could freeze in ice cube trays.

I bought one of the savory roasted chicken from Costco. They are huge and such a bargain!! Once the meat was off, I put the carcass (rip/cut it apart to get it into smaller pieces) in the crockpot. Making it smaller will allow all of the marrow in the bones to release, which will make it richer and provide gelatin. Then make sure you cook it all day! I started at about 8 in the morning and around 8 at night, I turned the crockpot off and strained it through a yogurt cheese maker sieve. You can use cheesecloth or a chinoise, but I didn't have either. As long as you have something with a fine mesh to strain all the impurities.

If you don't know what a chinoise is:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinoise_(utensil)

So after sitting overnight, it is rich, dark and wiggly!! I am excited as the last batch didn't cook long enough to get to that point. I did use some of the other stock last night to make tortilla soup and threw in the rest of the roast chicken. It was good.

No comments: