Saturday, September 15, 2007

The first three things

Clutter, I mentioned it the other day and then as I was purging my magazines, I ran across an article called Declutter Your Mind. "Is the road to enlightenment lined with stuff? Hardly. Just throw out 50 things... start with old clothes, lipsticks, or keys, then move on to the negative thougts that litter your head and hold you back." (Real Simple, April 2007)

OK, I was going to do a smaller number, but 50 seems like a good number. My goal is to throw out or give away 50 items a month. Of course, magazines and catalogs only count as one! Then you are supposed to keep a list, so that you can review and see your progress.

So let's start:

1. Why we had a fake black spider, I don't know, a left over from Halloween years ago. Well, the autistic girl I drive to school loves Halloween items. She happened to have the same spider in with orange markings, and ours had green markings, so I gave it to her as a gift this week. She loved it.

2. Old bronzer - it was too dark anyway, but I felt guilty throwing it out. Gone today.

3. Raggedy Ann doll - my mother thought I would want it, but what do you do with a well-loved doll that is at least 30 years old, other than put it on a shelf?

OK, that is what I started with, next week, I will update my list and let you know what else has gone away.

Here are some helpful links to articles and other forms of interest.

16 Quick Ways to Take Control of Your Life
Essential Everyday Forms and Checklists
Organize Your Organizing Systems

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this Laurie! I love to purge stuff but my sentimental hubby doesn't. My thoughts are 1) have you used in the last 6 mo-1 year 2) have you THOUGHT about it the last 6 mo -1 year 3) will you use in in the next 6 mos? If you answer no to two or more get rid of it! - Katie