Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Bath Salts almost perfected

OK, here is my recipe. I used the 6 lb. bag of epsom salts from Costco (around $3), so I had to increase my recipe below to adjust. I ended up using 40 drops lavender oil and 15 drops rosemary oil for 5 lbs. of salt (I had used some from the bag before). Even with all that, I still have tons left in my essential oil bottles - about $15 for the oils.

I was going to omit sea salt, but then found it at Sprouts (health food store) in the bulk section for $.29 lb. It was so cheap that I bought a couple of pounds.

1 cup epsom salt
1/4 cup sea salt
3 Tbsp baking soda (12 lb. bag $4)
2-3 drops essential oil

It smells heavenly in the bag, I think if you use a quarter cup per bath, it should be fine. The fragrance is not as strong, but is still nice and relaxing. I may tweak it some more and grind up oatmeal to add in as it softens skin. Glycerin is supposed to be good, but I don't have any of that.

My next batch perhaps will be scented with rose oil! I love the smell of roses. Lately, I have been wearing Stella (by Stella McCartney) fragrance. It is roses and amber and I think smells heavenly. http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P50714&shouldPaginate=true&categoryId=5689
She has a fragrance called Rose Absolute, but I don't smell the rose as much as I smell amber. I need to wear it and see how it dries down as I think Stella fades quickly.

I am also toying with Rose Essentielle from Bvlgari. It may be too sweet, but once again, wearing should tell. I have been searching for a signature fragrance for a while, one that had longevity and that I can wear for years.
http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_hierarchy.jhtml?brandId=3595&contentId=C15139

No comments: