Monday, February 12, 2007

Chicken stock

OK - I was reading an article that said Paula Wolfert loved to use her crockpot for making confits, etc. I thought perhaps that would be the best way to make chicken stock as it could cook for a really long time at a low heat and not raise my gas bill astronomically!

Here is what I did.
One carcass from a roasted chicken (I have heard for more flavor, buy raw chicken wings and throw them in)
Quartered onion, with skin on (it gives nice color to the stock)
Celery, roughly chopped
Carrot, roughly chopped (I threw in a handful of baby carrots)
10 black peppercorns
1 garlic clove, peeled
1 bay leaf
Salt
Dried parsley or fresh

1. Preheat the crock-pot on high.
2. Try breaking up the bones as small as possible, place with all the other ingredients in the crock-pot.
3. Cover with as much boiling water your crock-pot can take.
4. Switch to LOW and cook for 12 or up to 24 hours.
5. Strain, cool, skim of the fat, use the stock or freeze.

After a couple of hours, it smells amazing, but it takes time to get to that point.

No comments: