Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Tapas

I consider myself a pretty accomplished cook. In fact, I was quite pleased with my tapas dinner last night - Tortilla Espanola (Potato & Onion Cake), Roasted Peppers with Minced Garlic (see my How to on peppers, click on the labels tab at the bottom of the blog) and Allioli sauce (the French spells theirs Aioli), more or less a garlic and mayonaise sauce. I used mayo versus raw eggs and olive oil. Served all with crusty bread.

If I had green olives, I would have stuffed them with anchovy paste and served. Next time, I will do Grilled Mushrooms with Garlic and Parsley sauce, this time we had no mushrooms. Maybe I will do a whole tapas party one night. :-)

Serve it all with a bottle of Vinho Verde, that low-alcohol, fizzy white wine from Portugal. Cheap and perfect for summer. In fact, we bought a whole case! I felt so grown up special ordering a case of wine just for us. It will make a great hostess gift when we go to parties.

It was delicious! And I even flipped my Tortilla Espanola onto another platter without dropping it! You flip it over onto a plate, then slide it back into the pan to cook the top. It is like a frittata, but is a staple dish in tapas restaurants.

No comments: