Friday, April 27, 2007

Popcorn Musings

Lately I have been thinking about popcorn. Probably because it is our late night choice snack as it is low-calorie and high fiber. I like mine with a glass of skim milk, spiked with some Hershey's Special Dark Chocolate Syrup. Mmmmm!

We usually have the microwave but I have been thinking that:
1. it is expensive
2. that it can't taste as good as the real stuff cooked in a little healthy oil with some kosher salt

I posted an article under my Reader from Frank Bruni at the NYT all about popcorn. Interesting that most of the "foodies" out there consider microwave popcorn an abomination. I won't go that far, but I think I am going to try a trusty saucepan and some oil. I was looking at an electric popper, but the reviews weren't good and no sense buying another gadget to clutter the house.

I had an air-popper, but seriously, you need a tiny bit of fat to carry flavor and air-popped corn tastes like cardboard.

Add this to my list of things to buy this week:
Bag of popcorn
20 oz. pint glasses
Hand towels to have friend monogram
Mrs. Meyers Lavender Cleaning Concentrate
Mirror at Michaels (always tear out the 40% off coupon that comes with the junk mail)

1 comment:

Melanie Schroeder said...

I haven't had microwave popcorn in years. It's too salty and I find that it tastes kind of like chemicals. Plus, I got one of those stove top crank popcorn makers so I don't have to shake the saucepan(which also shakes all of my wobbly bits!) Any method done on the stove is better than the micrwave!
-Mel